What you missed on Monday in Tampa Bay area sports…
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- The Bucs released images of their new uniforms yesterday, with a formal media roll-out scheduled for March 5th. Edward Glazer, Co-Chairman of the Buccaneers, said that the new design “honors our championship past while also establishing a new, bolder identity moving forward.” There were mixed reactions to the changes, although Gary Shelton argues that on the field performance will be the main concern moving forward.
- Peter King hypothesized in his Monday Morning Quarterback column that Jairus Byrd, free agent safety from the Bills, could land in Tampa. Byrd’s dad, Gil, is an assistant coach for Tampa Bay. Given the presence of Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron, I’m not sure how Byrd would fit into the Bucs’ secondary. I believe that Tampa’s extra cap room can be used elsewhere to upgrade the team.
Tampa Bay Rays
- Matt Moore and Ben Zobrist had their spring debuts in the Rays 6-1 win over the Phillies in Port Charlotte. Moore got off to a shaky start, but settled in after a 26 pitch first inning. Next up for the Rays is the Boston Red Sox, pitting Chris Archer against Clay Buchholz.
- Tampa Bay Times writer Marc Topkin has a nice column highlighting Archer’s change in approach coming into the season.
Tampa Bay Lightning
- Damian Cristodero outlines why it may be difficult for the Bolts to pull off a trade ahead of Wednesday’s 3pm deadline. While rumors still swirl regarding Marty St. Louis, Tampa has an ace up their sleeve with the eventual return of star Steven Stamkos.
- Tampa closes out its four game road trip with a game against the St. Louis Blues tonight at 8pm on NBCSN, before returning to the Ice Palace Tampa Bay Times Forum on Thursday against the Buffalo Sabres.
NCAA Basketball – Tuesday’s Games
- The top ranked Florida Gators travel to Colubmia, SC to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. The game is nationally televised on ESPNU at 7pm.
- The Florida State Seminoles remain on the bubble (projected first four out by ESPN’s Joe Lunardi) and try to win their way into the tournament with a trip to Boston College Eagles tonight at 9pm on ESPNU
- The University of South Florida Bulls takes on University of Houston Cougars at 8:30pm on ESPNews.
- Other notable games:
- Miami Hurricanes @ Clemson Tigers (8pm ESPN3)
- Stetson Hatters @ Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (7pm ESPN3)
NCAA Baseball – Tuesday’s Games
- #2 Florida State Seminoles @ USF Bulls (7pm)
- #23 Miami Hurricanes vs. Villanova Wildcats (6pm)
- Florida Gators @ Southern Miss Golden Eagles (7:30pm)
NCAA Softball – Tuesday’s Games
- Florida Gators vs. Boston College Eagles (6pm)
- USF Bulls vs. Villanova Wildcats (2:15pm)
- USF Bulls vs. Maine Black Bears (4:30pm)